Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should reality TV shows be banned?

Miss New Year Non-Habbo Player
    HabboHut Champion
    Habbo Name
    irishshortie1234

Default Should reality TV shows be banned?

Hello!

Welcome to the eighteenth official debate discussion! A new topic will be posted every week, with the previous week's topic being closed for prizes at that time. If you have any questions read HERE or send me a PM.

This week's debate is: Should reality TV shows be banned?

With the ever expanding TV network, more and more reality shows are starting to air with high numbers of people watching. This week's question is, should they be allowed to air? A large number of parents and guardians think that they have a very negative influence on the children who watch them, others see them as a brilliant way to show what’s actually happening out there in the “real” world. So, this leaves us with the question do these shows go too far, should they be banned?

Reality television is a genre of television programming that presents purportedly unscripted dramatic or humorous situations, documents actual events, and usually features ordinary people instead of professional actors. However, reality television frequently portrays a modified and highly influenced form of reality, utilizing sensationalism to attract viewers and so to generate advertising profits. Participants are often placed in exotic locations or abnormal situations, and are sometimes coached to act in certain scripted ways by off-screen with the portrayal of events and speech manipulated and contrived to create an illusion of reality.

Should reality TV be banned or restricted? Are shows such as Jersey Shore, Desperate Housewives, Big Brother, The Bachelor, 16 and Pregnant, Kenny vs. Spenny, Fear Factor, Jon and Kate Plus 8 (Kate Plus , What not to Wear, Renovation Rescue, or any other reality television, a good influence on children and teenagers today?

Take time to formulate your responses, there's no prize for first or second post, it's all about the quality of the debating.

Please remember to respect each other’s opinions and absolutely no flaming will be tolerated! Happy Debating!

Your discussions for this topic are up for prizes 06/23/10 - 06/30/10.
    Last edited by Maria; 24-06-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    maria@habbohut.com
    Former General Manager, Former Head of Staff, Former Forum Manager

middle fingers raised to LeBron.

To give anything less than your
    best is to sacrifice the gift
    -Steve Prefontaine

*bgca Michael says:
    *, My pussy just bit me

Banned
    Habbo Name
    kay.vee

Blog Entries

Reality shows, such as Jersey Shore and the Real World are a bad influence on children. It teaches children that all that matters are looks. The people on these shows care about two things: themselves and sex.
    But regardless of whether or not these shows are a bad influence on children, the shows shouldn't be banned. If someone doesn't want their children watching it, then tell them to control their own children. These shows are entertaining, if not solely for the fact that they are so ridiculous, they are humorous.
    But Maria, you also mentioned shows such as "What Not to Wear" and "Fear Factor." These shows do not cause a bad influence; they are solely for entertainment purposes. "What Not to Wear" is also, though, informative on how to dress according to this year's fashion. It's beneficial for people to watch.
    Speaking of beneficial things to watch, the show "16 and Pregnant" comes to mind. This show is not harmful. It's a documentary on girls who became pregnant at the age of 16. It teaches teens how much life changes if they have unprotected sex (or even sex, for that matter, not just unprotected, because we all know that nothing is 100% safe, besides abstinence).

So my opinion on the question is that reality shows should not be banned. If people find it offense, they can simply turn the channel.
    Last edited by kay.vee; 24-06-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Habbo Name
    Bango61

As much as I don't like reality tv, you can't ban it just because it's not appropriate for children. I agree, kids shouldn't be watching it, but that's up to their parents to control that. I'm sure there are a lot of adults who enjoy watching reality tv, so why should we take it away from them too?

If we were to ban every show that's inappropriate for kids, the only thing on tv would be The Teletubbies and Spongebob.
    Last edited by Bango; 24-06-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Former Forum Manager

What I think is , it czan be a bad influence what it does not mean it shold be banned. I think that the parent should talk to them about it instate for them to learn to wrong way. If it is banned , still childrean can go to toher website or such for this kind of thing . So what I think is the educate them the right way instate or protecting them and hiding it away from their child. Shows can be a bad influence but it can also be a Good influence in the matter you take , to some is bad and some is good but it does had to go to the extend to ban because there are other source out there even if the children don watch reality show.

Tagged!
    Online Status :

HabboHut Champion

Jersey Shore and 16 and Pregnant can burn. Whenever I'm channel surfing they're always on MTV, which kind-of ironic because it's supposed to be "music" television... that's something that confuses me. Although, 16 and Pregant is a good watch sometimes because I get a kick out of watching the idiots who've pretty much screwed up their lives and now have to face the consequences.

I don't think it's appropriate to ban them: they do bring a lot of ratings. However, changing the showing times to later in the evening could provide a better result and less controversy. At the end of the day it's the parents responsibility to control what their children watch -- others shouldn't have to go without because some kids watch what they're not supposed to.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most "Reality TV shows" scripted anyway? It's all fake, I think.

Banned
    Habbo Name
    kay.vee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bango View Post
    If we were to ban every show that's inappropriate for kids, the only thing on tv would be The Teletubbies and Spongebob.
    I believe Teletubbies is no longer airing. Some of them came out of the closet. As I am sure that them being gay is NOT the reason the show is off air, but there may have been some other issues.

And actually, Spongebob has a lot of adult humor. When the show began back in 1995, it wasn't even intended to be for children. But as the years progressed, it got that reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by danny.boy View Post
    Jersey Shore and 16 and Pregnant can burn. Whenever I'm channel surfing they're always on MTV, which kind-of ironic because it's supposed to be "music" television... that's something that confuses me. Although, 16 and Pregant is a good watch sometimes because I get a kick out of watching the idiots who've pretty much screwed up their lives and now have to face the consequences.

I don't think it's appropriate to ban them: they do bring a lot of ratings. However, changing the showing times to later in the evening could provide a better result and less controversy. At the end of the day it's the parents responsibility to control what their children watch -- others shouldn't have to go without because some kids watch what they're not supposed to.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most "Reality TV shows" scripted anyway? It's all fake, I think.
    Jersey Shore actually had terrible ratings at the start. The first few episodes caused MTV to lose a few sponsors, who were supporting that show. The ratings aren't what made it so big. People watched it because it was absolutely ridiculous.

As for reality TV shows being, scripted, that is only in some shows. Like "The Hills" is scripted. I guess "The Hills" staff really failed in the third season at hiding it, because they made it extremely obvious.
    I don't think Jersey Shore and Real World are scripted though. Those people cause enough drama that they don't need writers to make it for them.
    Last edited by kay.vee; 25-06-2010 at 04:25 AM.

HabboHut Private Eye's Wife
    Habbo Name
    Bexter....

no i have fun going to big brother evictions xD

Habbo Name
    Bango61

Quote Originally Posted by kay.vee View Post
    I believe Teletubbies is no longer airing. Some of them came out of the closet. As I am sure that them being gay is NOT the reason the show is off air, but there may have been some other issues.
    Well I'm glad you were still able to see the point I was trying to make. :rolleyes:

Former Forum Manager

HabboHut Private Eye

Non-Habbo Player
    HabboHut God

I don't think anyone will argue for them being straight up banned, but maybe a little more control on what's shown would be nice.

Non-Habbo Player
    HabboHut God
    Habbo Name
    Radiantz

Or hey let the kids watch the kids channels. oh **** what a good idea.

a tv is not a babysitter, kids should be playing with toys or outside anyways.
    Last edited by Alex,; 23-07-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: please do not avoid the chat filter
    Just a little late, you found me.

Levi <3

Banned
    Habbo Name
    kay.vee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by george.boy View Post
    Or hey let the kids watch the kids channels. oh shet what a good idea.

a tv is not a babysitter, kids should be playing with toys or outside anyways.
    Well you have to get real and understand that TV is what the upcoming generation spends most of its time watching.

And parents can't always be home to know what their children are watching. Kids can get curious. I'm sure even kids get sick of watching Dora the Explorer.

Non-Habbo Player
    HabboHut God
    Habbo Name
    Radiantz

Well you have to get real and understand that TV is what the upcoming generation spends most of its time watching.

And parents can't always be home to know what their children are watching. Kids can get curious. I'm sure even kids get sick of watching Dora the Explorer.
    um im not a child so dont treat me like one, thanks
    Just a little late, you found me.

Levi <3

HabboHut Private Eye

Non-Habbo Player
    HabboHut God

Parental controls bro. If you use them, they work. Funny thing eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Keir View Post
    Parental controls bro. If you use them, they work. Funny thing eh?
    But their child can be going to their friends house and watch during the time their parent is not in . and be back when their parent will be home soon .

Tagged!
    Online Status :

HabboHut Private Eye

Non-Habbo Player
    HabboHut God

Quote Originally Posted by Tag, View Post
    But their child can be going to their friends house and watch during the time their parent is not in . and be back when their parent will be home soon .
    If your kid is sneaking out of the house at a young age for the sole purpose of watching inappropriate TV you have bigger problems than the TV my friend

Forum Super Moderator
    HabboHut God
    Habbo Name
    CaptainKilt

Blog Entries

I'm not going to argue anything into his but

In my city they are making a new channel soely dedicated to reality TV (Not Hills or jersey shores type but samething like survivour or fear facter) That's all this channel will have 24/7

What are your opinions on that?

Banned
    Habbo Name
    kay.vee

Blog Entries

No one on this forum believe that reality shows should be banned. How are we supposed to debate on the topic..

Owner
    Supreme Dictator
    Habbo Name
    RetroScissors

You could argue why they SHOULDN'T be banned

"How strange to use 'You only live once' as an excuse to throw it away." ~Bill Copeland

Former News Manager

Blog Entries

Reality TV shows SHOULD NOT be banned.

TVs are programmed to have parental block and special codes to hide channels/shows.

Some parents may think it is un-suitable to have their child watching Reality TV shows, they can simply bar the channel/program by calling their service provider and adjusting options. If they have have basic channels which is used by satellite then its their job to supervise the child.

Its not the best thing to take away something as it can be avoided easily. + If children want to watch it, they're not dumb, they can use google.

Why take away everyone else's pleasure?? There is no need.

Owner
    Supreme Dictator
    Habbo Name
    RetroScissors

In my opinion some should some shouldn't.

"How strange to use 'You only live once' as an excuse to throw it away." ~Bill Copeland

Thread Information